Thursday, July 18, 2013

Education vs Love



Do you really think that an academic education is the best treasure you can give to your kids? Think twice.

Because of what I do, I have the opportunity to talk with a lot of adults and we talk about their past and their childhood and I do not recall anybody saying: “it was so much fun to learn how to multiply”, I used to love study more than 8 hours a day and then do homework, and I loved it!”, “I used to love school because they were so strict and they always put me in time out”,  “because I did not play too much when I was a kid, that is why I got my PhD”. NO.

They usually refer to their childhood or teen years as follows: “I used to go with my dad fishing and we had so much fun”, “my family and I used to spend time together at dinner and talk stories”, “I used to cook with my mom and we made cookies on Sunday night”, “my dad taught me how to drive”, my mom taught how to be very polite and compassionate with others”.

I am not saying education at school or university is not important, believe me I love it! I am an eternal student. What I am trying to say here is that sometimes we are focusing in how we are going to give our children something we did not have, or a better education so they are “someone” in the future, etc, that we forget that we can give them more and better things.

Why do not we switch gears and think for a moment: “What can I give to my child that it is not only going to last forever but it is going to make us bond as a family?” All the good memories that we keep in our mind are those that we were with people, and in growing up years that people are our parents or adults around us and our friends. They learn by example more than by words. 

If they see parents working, being discipline, eating well, loving themselves and others, how do you think that child is going to grow up doing? Yes, the same. We just have to relax and make it easier for all of us. What we can really teach at home that nowadays is missed in some schools is spirituality. 

That is big word for some of you, for others, it is a piece of cake. I am talking about purpose in life, know that there is something greater than us, that all of us are part of a whole and that is why we need to respect and love others as we love one of our legs, our eyes, and so on. If you do not love yourself, that is another story. You probably will work on that when you are ready, and teach that to your child.

That's all for now, I hope I gave something to think about or to talk about. My mom used to say: "it does not matter than others are talking good or bad about you; what really matters is that they ARE talking about you". 
Sign up for my newsletter or send me a comment if you like. Until then, just breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment